This type of bet will be very useful against passive players because, whether you get your draw or not, you will create a situation of domination, if you do not get raised and your image is good.
You have the advantage over the other player, who often will not have obtained their draw either, and who can hardly follow you. Of course, strategy becomes less effective if your opponent follows you without hesitation, and ultimately has a better combination in hand. It is always better, however, to start from the start with a continuation bet rather than checking from the pre-flop, which puts you in a weak position.
Bluff: all the art of poker
Bluffing, more than a strategy, is an art. There are no hard and fast rules in this area, and it is often the skill of bluffing and the image that one gives to a table that makes the greatest dominoqq99 poker players.
There are two categories of bluffing:
- Either you overplay a bad hand to make your opponent fold and win the pot.
- Either you underplay a good hand to make the pot bigger and surprise your opponent, this is called the semi-bluff.
- You have to know how to use the bluff in a balanced way, because the main thing is that your opponents do not notice your strategy. The idea is to seize the opportunity is to vary your strategies.
Some tips for betting well in poker
Clearly define your goals
This first tip is an idea that you should absolutely always have in mind at every bidding round: what is your objective?
- Either you want your opponent to fold, or you will favor bluffing and raises.
- Either you want him to call, which requires more strategy in evaluating your bets. Bet too little, and your opponent will fold: your good hand will not pay off.
Knowing how to adjust your bets
The way you adapt your bets is called “bet sizing”: it is above all a question of betting according to the pot, and not the potential of your hand.
- There are different bets suitable for different situations.
- We can bet the pot or more, we talk about an overbet: it’s ideal when we have a strong hand and the opponent is likely to call.
- If we bet half the pot or a third of the pot, we speak of an underbetting, which is preferable in many situations, for example in the case of a continuation bet, to increase the size of the pot and encourage his opponent to call. if he is too committed.
Knowing when to stop
This is the whole point of poker, whatever the strategy, from bluffing to value betting: when should you stop betting and fold? The first element to take into account is the odds , between your cards, and the draw.
But you’re going to have to learn to analyze the situation from all angles: the number of opponents, the size of the stack, your position in the game. A good poker player knows when to stop.
Bet out of position
- Your position in the betting round determines your way of betting.
- A bet in UTG, that is to say after the big blind, can allow you to eliminate opponents.
- The bet on the button, that is to say in the last position after the flop, remains the best position to raise.
But still, it can be good to bet out of position: if you are the first to bet after the flop your image will be stronger. And that allows you to always take the advantage of the players who come after you.
You will understand: following your instincts and your feelings in poker is not always the winning strategy. If you are a beginner player, it will quickly be obvious to other players at the table whether your game is good or bad. You must master the image you give to the table, and know how to handle the different betting strategies with balance and subtlety.